Small Vienna – Timişoara
The most western city in Romania
The Old Town of Timisoara, with strong Baroque and Classical influences, gives it an air of Little Vienna, although it is many times also called the City of the Flowers or Parks due to its luscious green areas. The heyday of the city was around 1718, after the withdrawal of the Turks, when the Habsburgs came to rule.
Here the Unity Square (Piata Unirii) was built in the Baroque style and it hosts a series of important monuments: the 17th century Romano-Catholic Dome (St. George Cathedral), the Baroque Palace which hosts the Art Museum, the Orthodox Serbian Cathedral, a series of baroque houses, the Mineral Water Fountain and, last but not least, the Column of the Plague, a monument which celebrates the ending of the plague epidemic in the 17th century that had killed thousands across Banat.
In this city we can also admire the Timisoara Orthodox Cathedral, the tallest cathedral in Romania and also the seat of the Archbishop of Timișoara and Metropolis of Banat.
Timisoara was the city that sparked the Romanian Revolution of ‘89 which led to the overthrow of the Ceausescu dictatorial regime. Today, in the Victory Square, you can see candles and flowers on a simple wooden cross, dedicated to the memory of the victims of the uprising in Timişoara.
MUSEUMS WE RECOMMEND
The Banat Museum
Banat Museum, Ethnographic section
Memorial Museum of the Revolution from 1989
The Art Museum
Banat Village Museum
The collection of the Serbian Bishop
NOT TO BE MISSED
The union square
The Nikolaus Lenau School
The Roman Catholic Cathedral
Cafes and bars of the Old
IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD
Lugoj – Densus – Colti
Retezat National Park